Monday, December 21, 2009

turds

Every night our bedtime routine consists of a bath, some playtime or a "dance party" as Addelyn calls it, looking at picture albums, and then reading stories, prayers, rocking in the chair, and singing. Tonight during her prayers I couldn't help but laugh outloud. Each night I'll ask Addelyn if she wants to pray for someone. For a few weeks or so she went through a stage where she didn't want to pray so we didn't. I'm so aware of the fact that I never want to make faith something she HAS to do. Of course, we'll teach her and help her grow but I want her to make that choice for herself. Okay, that is the topic of another blog- I'm getting off topic. Tonight, it is time for a story.

As we rocked in her chair, I asked her if she wanted to pray for someone. Usually it is Nonnie and Papa or Daddy or one of her little friends. Tonight, first she said, "toys." I asked her if she was sure. Hmmmm....we have only prayed for people so far. Oh and you can't forget kitties. I suggested that we pray for kids who don't have toys this Christmas. She liked that idea and we prayed. Then I asked if there was anyone else she wanted to pray for. She immediately responded "turds." I said, "what?" thinking I had heard wrong. "Turds" she said again, a bit frustrated that I didn't understand the first time. I coudn't help it....I let out a little laugh. But she wasn't laughing, she really wanted to pray for turds. I prayed and thanked God for allowing Addelyn to be able to go potty. I have to wonder what the thought process was on that one. Guess I'll never know but tonight....we prayed for turds.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Oh that is so cute. I am constantly amazed at what they say. Carter's thing right now is Hannah, which is one of the little girls at daycare. I don't know why...if its that he likes her so much or if he just likes saying her name but he says it a lot.

We should definitely get together (snow allowing)...hopefully we will see you soon. PS - if you want/are up to it, bring your running gear...I have six miles I'll have to do at some point. We could leave the kiddos with the boys? He he he.

Becky Bartlett said...

Oh man... I just laughed so hard when I read this! Gotta love those bedtime prayers. I'm so glad you wrote this down!

Hannah Joy said...

LOVE it!!

Unknown said...

Oh, don't worry! Your not the only mom who has prayed for turds!!! Too funny! I have sent up MANY prayers for my certain boy to produce some turds before :) Love Addelyn's little responses to life!!

Maribeth said...

I think turds are a completely wonderful thing to thank God for, and ask His blessing upon, particularly when you're a sweet little two year old girl named Addelyn. Love it, Kris!