Thursday, June 27, 2013

"Unexpected Love: God's Heart Revealed in Jesus' Conversations with Women"



"Unexpected Love:  God's Heart Revealed in Jesus' Conversations with Women" by Julie Zine Coleman was a great book. I appreciated the way writer and teacher Coleman walked through each chapter, sharing stories from scripture of Jesus and his interactions with women of the Bible. Each chapter begins with the scripture she is focusing on, talks through the story, goes into questions to help dig deeper, has a section to relate to today's woman, and ends with scripture/questions that can be used for going deeper on your own or Bible study. 

I found each chapter interesting to read. I loved reading the scripture and then having it explained from a historical/cultural standpoint and also having many of the questions that come up for me addressed. Sometimes when I read the Bible, I get discouraged or confused and don't dig deeper because I don't understand. I love how she walked through many of the questions that may come up when reading about the stories of Jesus and his interactions with women.

I also appreciated how she helps us to see in each chapter how the stories are relevant to woman today. I could relate to many of the women in the stories and it is hard to imagine being able to have the face to face interactions with Jesus the way many of these women did. I love to see and be reminded of his deep love and respect and encouragement of women.

I plan to use this book in the future in a number of ways. I can see it being a great re-read. Also, I see it being one I would go through and use as a resource to better study the scriptures she focuses on. I could also see using it as a Bible study resource for a group of women. Overall, a great book!

No comments: