Sunday, January 22, 2012

Nearing Home by Billy Graham


In the book, "Nearing Home," Billy Graham shares valuable life lessons he has learned along the way in his ninety three years of life. He shares some of the challenges he has faced as he grows older, along with important learnings he has gleaned from scripture. The book is really focused on those that are entering their later years, but has important lessons for those at any age.

I picked up this book because I was curious to read and hear what Billy Graham has to say. I went to one of his crusades when I was first following Jesus and although I would say some of our strategies of doing ministry may look different, I deeply respect Billy Graham and would love to learn from him. This book, for me, was filled with important truths- some that I feel like I already know and want to remember as life goes on and some that seem new to me. One of the things that stuck out to me was how Graham shared about that none of us can really understand/prepare for the reality of what growing older is like- the pains, the loss of family/vision/hearing/etc. He talked about how that has affected him and the true need of knowing and following Jesus now (earlier in life) so that when we don't have the use of our hearing/vision/memory as well, we will have a solid foundation.
I think this is a book I'd like to try to read every five-ten years - to continue to think about the truths he shared as I continue to grow older. I would definitely suggest this book to people who are considering how they want to live well- both in a younger age or when they are older.

No comments: