Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A Kingsbury Collection


I am still enjoying my free books from Blogging for Books! My most recent read was "Kingsbury Collection" by Karen Kingsbury. This was a large book, holding three of Kingsbury's novels- "Where Yesterday Lives," "When Joy Came to Stay," and "On Every Side."

I have been a Kingsbury fan for some time. Below is a brief synopsis of each novel. In "Where Yesterday Lives," Ellen Barrett goes back to her hometown after the sudden death of her father. There, she must try to reconnect with her sister while mourning the loss of her father. This was a decent book, not one of my favorites.

"When Joy Came to Stay" is my favorite book of the three. Maggie has a wonderful life, except she can't forget the child she gave up for adoption. Little Amanda Joy is moved from foster care home to foster care home but never gives up her faith. I appreciated and connected with the story.

"On Every Side" is a story where former friends Faith and Jordan fight against one another as they battle over a statue of Jesus in a city park. Angry at God for how his life has turned out, Jordan works tirelessly to remove Christ from public forms. Faith and Jordan end up reconnecting as Faith digs deeper into Jordan's past. This was also a good one.


I enjoyed these books, even though it was hard reading out of a book with three novels in one (a little heavy!) Karen Kingsbury books can sometimes be a little too much for me- with the perfect Christian ending. At the same time, it is kind of fun to get lost in her books that are always easy reading. I do appreciate how she always uses scripture, which is a great place to focus. Overall, a great option to read.

No comments: